Historical Points of Interest - Brunswick County, NC

Brunswick Town, Fort Anderson

Brunswick Town is a colonial ghost town beside the Cape Fear River in Smithville Township, Brunswick County, North Carolina, United States.

During the Civil War, Fort Anderson was constructed atop the old village site, and served as part of the Cape Fear River defenses below Wilmington before the fall of the Confederacy.


8884 St. Philip's Rd. SE, Winnabow, NC 28479


Oak Island Lighthouse

The Oak Island Lighthouse is one of the newest lighthouses in the USA, and is located in the town of Caswell Beach, NC, just at the mouth of the Cape Fear River. Owned by the town since 2004, it sits next to a United States Coast Guard (USCG) Station on the east end of Oak Island in Brunswick County, North Carolina.

The lighthouse can be seen over 16 miles away and was built to help ships navigate Frying Pan Shoals.

Constructed in - by Brinkley, W.F. & Son Construction Co. (located in Granite Quarry NC), the Oak Island Lighthouse replaced the previous Cape Fear Light, a steel skeleton structure on Bald Head Island, which was demolished in 1958. And this lighthouse, operating beginning in 1903, was in turn, yet another replacement for the 1817 Bald Head Light (Old Baldy), which is still standing and also a popular tourist attraction.


300A Caswell Beach Rd, Oak Island, NC 28465


Old Baldy Lighthouse

The oldest lighthouse still standing in North Carolina is our beloved Bald Head Lighthouse, known affectionately as Old Baldy.

The second of three lighthouses that have been built on Bald Head Island since the 18th century, Old Baldy is to help guide ships past the dangerous shoals at the mouth of the Cape Fear river.

The lighthouse was first activated on , and directed traffic to the Cape Fear River and the growing port of Wilmington, NC.

When Old Baldy was deactivated in 1935, the lighthouse was abandoned.


Bald Head Island, NC 28461


Price’s Creek Lighthouse

Price's Creek Lighthouse, also known as Price Creek Light, can be found near Southport, North Carolina, along the banks of the Cape Fear River.

In 1848, Congress approved the building of eight lighthouses to illuminate the 25-mile stretch of the Cape Fear River between Oak Island and Wilmington, thanks to years of merchants and mariners lobbying for lights to mark the Cape Fear passageway.

Due to the Civil War and destruction by weather, it is the only remaining lighthouse of the eight.

Today it sits on private property, inaccessible to the public, however you can view it on the top level of the Southport-Fort Fisher Ferry (see schedule) as it approaches the Southport landing.